Truck accidents have been on the rise over the past decade. The reasons for this include a national truck driver shortage, which leads to more inexperienced truck drivers, as well as an increasing demand for goods delivered by truck.
If you were involved in a truck accident in Columbus, GA and someone else was at fault, you can seek compensation for your losses. Hiring an experienced truck accident lawyer can help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm is here to do just that. We understand how daunting the truck accident claim process can be and will help you navigate the process from start to finish. Call us at (706) 940-4030 or contact our offices online for a free consultation.
How Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm Can Help After a Truck Accident in Columbus, GA
Our firm’s founder, Mark Casto, has 26 years of legal experience and a proven track record of trial experience in Columbus, Georgia. He’s recovered tens of millions in compensation for his injured clients. Moreover, he’s received a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rating, the highest peer-reviewed rating available by the company.
When you hire Mark Casto, he will put his experience to work for you in your truck accident case by doing the following:
- Reviewing your case and explaining your legal options
- Investigating the truck accident further to build your case
- Identifying the at-fault parties
- Gathering evidence to strengthen your claims
- Contacting the opposing party on your behalf to negotiate a settlement
- Filing your lawsuit and advocating for you in court if a favorable settlement cannot be reached
Let Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm put its no-nonsense approach to work for you and help you get the results you deserve. Call our Columbus personal injury lawyer today to schedule a free consultation.
How Common Are Truck Accidents in Columbus, GA?
Truck accidents have been on the rise for several years. While Georgia does not report much data on non-fatal large truck accidents, the national data is telling. In 2021, 117,300 trucks were involved in accidents that resulted in injuries. This was a 12% increase from the number of similar truck accidents in 2020.
What Is My Columbus Truck Accident Case Worth?
It would be misleading to place a value on your truck accident case without reviewing the actual facts of your case. Why is that? Because every truck accident claim is different.
Several factors will influence the value of your truck accident case. These include:
- The severity of your injuries
- The extent of property damage
- Your total medical bills
- The insurance policy limits
- Whether you share some of the fault in the accident
- What evidence is available to support your claims
Contact our office to discuss how these factors impact your case. Reach out to our Columbus personal injury attorney to schedule a free consultation today.
What Kinds of Damages Are Available to Columbus Truck Accident Victims?
In a truck accident claim or other type of personal injury case, the main remedy will be compensatory damages. Compensatory damages are money awarded to an injured party to compensate for injuries, losses, or some other type of harm. The purpose is to make the injured victim “whole again” after an accident.
There are two types of compensatory damages: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic Damages Available in Your Truck Accident Case
Economic damages are available to compensate for the direct financial consequences of an accident or injury.
They may include the following:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Property damage
- Transportation costs
- Lost wages
- Diminished future earning capacity
Economic damages may also be called tangible damages or special damages.
Non-Economic Damages Available in Your Truck Accident Case
Non-economic damages are available to compensate for the emotional, psychological, or other experiential consequences of the accident or injury.
They may include the following:
- Pain and suffering related to your injuries
- Emotional anguish as a result of the accident or injury
- Loss of companionship or consortium by a loved one
- Disability or disfigurement and the associated impacts
- Loss of quality of life
Non-economic damages may also be called intangible damages or general damages.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer in Columbus, GA?
Personal injury lawyers often work for a contingency fee. The attorney collects a percentage of the client’s monetary award at the end of the case. The fee is typically between 33% and 40%, depending on the complexity and duration of the case. Unlike other types of legal fees, a contingent fee is only collected if the client wins their case. So, if you don’t get paid, the attorney doesn’t either.
Contingency fees are beneficial for truck accident victims. It would be difficult to pay attorney’s fees upfront while dealing with medical costs, injuries, lost wages, and the other unexpected costs associated with an accident.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed For a Truck Accident in Georgia?
In Georgia you may still be able to recover compensation if you are partly to blame in the accident. Georgia is one of several states that follows the modified comparative negligence approach for shared fault.
Under this approach, an injured party can recover compensation if they are less than 50% at fault for the accident or injury. So, if you are 20%, 30%, or even 49% at fault, you can still recover compensation from the other at-fault party. Your compensation will be reduced by the percentage of which you were at fault, though.
Because you won’t be able to recover damages if you are deemed 50% at fault or more, it’s crucial that you hire an experienced personal injury lawyer to protect your interests. We’ll advocate for you and make sure that you are not attributed more blame than you deserve.
We’ll Work to Recover Compensation For All of Your Truck Accident Injuries
Due to their size, semi-trucks can cause devastating injuries when involved in an accident.
Some injuries you may suffer in a truck accident include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Broken bones
- Organ or soft-tissue damage
Even if you sustain minor injuries in a truck accident, it’s important for your health and your potential personal injury case that you seek medical attention immediately. Reach out to our office today to learn more about how we’ll fight for you to recover compensation for all of your truck-accident related injuries.
What Causes Most Truck Accidents in Columbus, GA?
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), most large truck accidents are caused by the driver.
Common driver-related causes include:
- The driver fell asleep
- The driver was impaired due to a physical ailment
- Distracted driving
- Following too closely
- Inexperienced driving
- Alcohol or drug use
In fewer instances, truck accidents are caused by vehicle and road conditions. For example, brake issues, tire problems, cargo shifting, and issues on the roadway can contribute to truck accidents.
In many accidents, more than one of these factors contributed to the crash. A skilled truck accident lawyer will investigate your case to identify all of the at-fault parties.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Truck Accident in Georgia?
To seek compensation from another at-fault party after a truck accident in Georgia, you will need to show that the other party was negligent. A person is negligent when they fail to meet the level of care that a reasonable person would exercise under the same or similar circumstances.
To succeed in your truck accident case, you will need to establish the following four elements:
- Duty of care: You must show that the other driver had a legal obligation to behave in a certain way toward you. Ordinarily, the duty of care is to act as a reasonably prudent person would under the circumstances.
- Breach: You must then show that the other driver breached the duty of care. That is, you must show that they failed to act as a reasonable person would in the same situation.
- Causation: Next, you will need to show that the other driver’s actions or conduct were the actual and legal cause of your injuries.
- Damages: You must also show that you suffered injuries or other losses as a result of the other driver’s conduct.
To prove that the other driver was negligent, you will need to gather and present evidence supporting each of these elements. Contact an experienced Columbus truck accident attorney today to help you succeed in your personal injury case.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Truck Accident in Georgia?
In Georgia, you typically have two years from the date of your truck accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. This deadline is referred to as the statute of limitations. You must file your case within this two-year timeframe, or you will likely be barred from seeking compensation in your case.
Contact Our Columbus Truck Accident Lawyer For a Free Consultation
Accidents happen. If you’ve been involved in a truck accident in Columbus, Georgia, you may be feeling helpless and overwhelmed. Let Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm build your case and fight for compensation for all of your injuries and losses.
Highly Rated Columbus, GA Emergency Rooms
- Midtown Medical Center Emergency Room – 710 Center St, Columbus, GA 31901
- Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital: Emergency Room – 4401 Riverchase Dr, Phenix City, AL 36867
- Northside Medical Center: Emergency Room – 100 Frist Ct, Columbus, GA 31909
- Columbus Specialty Hospital – 616 19th St, Columbus, GA 31901
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Regulations and Interpretations – FMCSA
- U.S. Department of Transportation
What our Columbus, GA Personal Injury Clients say about us
I was in a horrible car accident and let me just say this They are great people that are attentive to your case! More than willing to help your cause. They were there for me when I needed them most. Consultant was very professional and polite! I truly appreciate his advice and made my experience very encouraging! Thank you so much Mark Casto law firm of Columbus, GA!– Brittany Edwards
Read more of our Google Reviews
Our personal injury law firm in Columbus, GA also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Columbus, GA
- Car Accident Injury Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Child Injury Lawyers in Columbus, GA
- Construction Accident Attorney in Columbus, GA
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Columbus, GA
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Columbus, GA
- Product Liability Lawyers in Columbus, GA
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys in Columbus, GA
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Uber Accident Attorney in Columbus, GA
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Columbus, GA
- Workplace Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Columbus, GA