Being involved in a pedestrian accident in Columbus, GA, can be one of the most terrifying, life-altering experiences imaginable. If this has happened to you, you deserve compensation that makes up for every consequence you’ve endured. The Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm can help you get a monetary award or settlement for your pain and suffering, medical expenses, other financial losses, and more.
We’re a top-rated personal injury law firm in the area that will make your case our priority. Our Columbus pedestrian accident lawyer has over 26 years of experience and has collected tens of millions of dollars for our clients. If you hire us, we’re confident that we can help you get a favorable outcome for your pedestrian accident case.
How the Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm Can Help You After a Pedestrian Accident in Columbus
The chances are that an insurance company will be a party to your pedestrian accident case, especially if a motor vehicle was involved. Insurance adjusters and their employers care about their profits, not about your well-being. In fact, they will utilize various strategies designed to limit or escape their liability for your claim whenever they can.
Hiring the Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm will even the playing field. Our Columbus personal injury attorney has decades of experience dealing with insurance companies and won’t let the opposing party take advantage of you. Attorney Mark Casto is an AV-Preeminent rated lawyer, which is the highest peer-review rating from the prestigious legal directory Martindale-Hubbell. We can help with your case by:
- Conducting a thorough review and investigation of your accident so that we can determine your best course of action
- Evaluating all of the damages you have incurred as a result of the pedestrian accident
- Making sure you are protected from allegations of contributory fault
- Taking care of all the paperwork, communications, and settlement negotiations
- Bringing your case to court by filing a personal injury lawsuit, if necessary
Learn more about our legal services by contacting our law offices in Columbus, Georgia, today for a free case review.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in the State of Georgia?
Detailed traffic accident data are available from the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety. For pedestrian accidents, the following statistics have been published in recent years:
- 2021: 306 pedestrian accident fatalities
- 2020: 279 pedestrian accident fatalities
- 2019: 236 pedestrian accident fatalities
- 2018: 262 pedestrian accident fatalities
- 2017: 253 pedestrian accident fatalities
In most years, these deaths represent around 17% of the overall number of motor vehicle accident fatalities in the state. This is a relatively high rate, considering that other types of collisions, such as car accidents, occur more often.
We’ll Work Hard To Get You Compensation for Each of Your Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrians are susceptible to suffering especially severe injuries in the event of an accident. Our respected attorney can help you recover compensation after any of the following kinds of harm:
- Leg injuries
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Road rash
- Internal bleeding
- Soft tissue damage
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Chest injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Burn injuries
- Sprains and strains
- Wrongful death (of a loved one)
Contact us at your convenience to learn more about your legal rights and options.
How Much Is My Columbus Pedestrian Accident Claim Worth?
The value of your Columbus pedestrian accident claim will come down to the facts and circumstances involved in the case. Many factors can influence how much your claim is worth, including the following:
- Whether you will be able to make a full medical recovery
- The strength and amount of evidence in favor of your claim
- Whether you contributed to the cause of the accident
- The severity of your injuries
- The amount of your financial losses, both current and forward-looking
- Whether you can return to work
- The terms of any relevant insurance policies
- The nature of the accident and who is at fault
Our legal team will implement a thorough evaluation of your case once you choose us to represent you. This is one of the most important stages of the claims process – otherwise, you might end up with less compensation than you are due under the law.
What Damages Are Available After a Pedestrian Accident in Columbus, GA?
Georgia law allows personal injury accident victims to recover economic damages as well as non-economic damages. These are called “compensatory damages” and include, but are not limited to, the following kinds of losses:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Conditions such as anxiety and PTSD
- Diminished earning capacity
- Lost wages
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Medical bills
- Loss of consortium
- Therapy and rehabilitation
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
You may also be eligible for punitive damages, but only in rare cases. These damages are not considered compensatory and are instead meant to punish the defendant for egregious acts. Punitive damages also require a stronger showing of evidence compared with economic and non-economic damages.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Columbus, Georgia
Pedestrian accidents can happen in a number of circumstances, but some stand out among the rest. Some of the most common causes are:
- Distracted driving
- Not yielding the right of way
- Failing to check blind spots
- Fatigued driving
- Drunk (or drugged) driving
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Improper lane changes
- Speeding and other aggressive driving behaviors
- Malfunctioning traffic lights and equipment
- Poor visibility
- Lack of proper road and shoulder maintenance
If another person or entity was responsible for your pedestrian accident, you may have legal recourse against them. The Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm can assist you throughout the entire process.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Columbus Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
We understand that a personal injury accident can leave you in a difficult financial situation. That’s one primary reason that we work on a contingency fee basis.
Hiring our Columbus pedestrian accident attorney will cost you nothing upfront. In addition, we only receive attorney’s fees if we secure compensation for you – whether through a settlement agreement or jury verdict.
At that time, we will get a percentage of that financial award as payment for our work. We will discuss the percentage with you ahead of time; it is around 33% in most cases.
With a contingency fee, we are incentivized to maximize the value of your claim as much as possible. In that way, our goals are aligned with yours. Get in touch with us if you have any questions about this arrangement and how it will work in your case.
What Will Happen if I’m Blamed for My Pedestrian Accident in Columbus?
Per state law, you can still win compensation even if you are partly responsible for your pedestrian accident. Georgia follows a “modified comparative negligence” standard with a 50% bar to recovery.
The way it works is that you may be assigned a percentage of fault under this standard. You can still recover money damages as long as this percentage is less than 50%. However, your damages can be adjusted accordingly. For example, if you are found to be 20% at fault, your damages can be reduced by 20%.
If you hire an experienced lawyer, they can advocate for your interests and ensure you aren’t assigned more blame than is fair.
How Much Time Do I Have To File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Georgia?
Georgia limits the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit via its statute of limitations. For personal injury lawsuits, including those based on pedestrian accidents, the deadline is two years by default. If you miss the statute of limitations, you will, in essence, lose your ability to pursue compensation from the opposing party.
However, note that there are sometimes exceptions to the two-year statute of limitations. We recommend that you contact an attorney as soon as you can after your accident to determine the deadline for your particular case and preserve your right to file a lawsuit.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Respected Columbus Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If another party’s negligence or wrongdoing caused your pedestrian accident in Columbus, Georgia, you likely have legal options available to you for getting compensation.
At the Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm, we cut no corners in representing our clients. You can trust that our award-winning Columbus pedestrian accident attorney will treat you like family and do everything in his power to help your case.
Contact us today to schedule your complimentary initial consultation.
Our personal injury law firm in Columbus, GA also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Columbus, GA
- Car Accident Injury Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Child Injury Lawyers in Columbus, GA
- Construction Accident Attorney in Columbus, GA
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Columbus, GA
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Columbus, GA
- Product Liability Lawyers in Columbus, GA
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys in Columbus, GA
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Uber Accident Attorney in Columbus, GA
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Columbus, GA
- Workplace Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Columbus, GA