Was your child injured in an accident or because of another party’s actions in Columbus, Georgia? If so, your child might be entitled to compensation for their pain, suffering, and damages. Parents and legal guardians can file lawsuits on behalf of their children to hold the responsible parties accountable for their children’s injuries.
Child injury cases are complex personal injury claims. You need an experienced lawyer to handle your child’s case. Our Columbus personal injury lawyer at the Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm has over 25 years of legal experience.
Our lawyer is an aggressive negotiator and seasoned trial lawyer with a winning track record. We have won tens of millions of dollars for our clients since opening our personal injury law firm. Attorney Mark Casto is dedicated to obtaining justice for injured victims and their families in cases like dog bites in Columbus, electric scooter accidents, product liabilities, truck accidents, Lyft accidents in Columbus, and many more.
How the Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm Can Help You With a Child Injury Claim in Georgia
Parents can do everything within their power to protect their children from harm. However, accidents happen. Negligence, intentional torts, and other wrongdoing can cause their child to sustain severe injuries.
When your child is injured, you want the best doctors to treat their injuries. Likewise, you need the best personal injury attorney to handle your personal injury claim. Attorney Mark Casto is a top-rated Columbus personal injury lawyer. He has received recognition for his legal services from national and local organizations, including The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 list.
Attorney Casto has a perfect 10.0 Avvo rating and received its Client’s Choice Award in 2019. He has been included in the Georgia Super Lawyers list since 2017 and was in the top 10% of the USA-Lawyers of Distinction. When you hire the Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm for your child’s personal injury case, you can trust that you are hiring a fierce advocate for your child’s legal rights.
When you hire our top-rated child injury lawyer in Columbus, you can trust we will handle all aspects of your child’s case, including:
- Explain your child’s legal rights and discuss options for recovering compensation for their injuries and damages
- Investigate your child’s claim to determine what caused their injuries and identify the responsible parties
- Handle communications with insurance companies and negotiate fair insurance settlements
- Document damages to determine an accurate value for damages
- Consult leading experts regarding your child’s case, including medical specialists, psychologists, accident reconstructionists, financial professionals, and others
- Negotiate with the at-fault parties and insurance companies for fair compensation
- Protect and defend your child from unjust allegations of blame
- File a lawsuit and take the case to trial if that is in your child’s best interest
Don’t allow negligent parties to get away with causing your child harm. Call the Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm to schedule a free case evaluation. Our legal team in Columbus, GA, is here to help you and your child with a claim.
Common Causes of Child Injuries in Columbus, GA
Children are injured in accidents and other incidents, including:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Dog bites and attacks
- Playground accidents
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents
- Assault and sexual assault
- Slip and fall accidents
- Swimming pool accidents
- Amusement park accidents
- Bus accidents
- Daycare and school accidents
- Defective products
- Fires and explosions
- Birth injuries
- Child abuse
- Medical malpractice
- Exposure to hazardous substances
- Food poisoning
If your child is injured, seek immediate medical treatment. Even if your child does not appear seriously injured, your child could develop delayed injury symptoms. Prompt medical treatment increases your child’s chance of making a full recovery, and it strengthens their personal injury case.
We Handle All Types of Child Injury Cases at the Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm
Our Columbus child injuries attorney handles cases involving all types of child injuries. Common child injury claims include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Traumatic brain injury
- Internal organ damage
- Crushing injuries
- Severe burns
- Paralysis and spinal cord injuries
- Skull fractures
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Knee and elbow injuries
A child’s injuries can result in cognitive, physical, and emotional impairments. A child’s injury could result in developmental delays. The cost of treating a child’s injuries could include substantial amounts for ongoing problems and needs.
What Is My Child’s Personal Injury Case Worth in Columbus, GA?
Calculating how much your child’s personal injury claim is worth begins with gathering evidence of financial losses and expenses. However, that is only a portion of the value of their claim. Your child is also entitled to compensation for pain and suffering.
Therefore, we must analyze the facts of your child’s case to determine the extent to which your child’s injuries will impact their life now and in the future. Factors that affect the value of a child injury claim include:
- The age of your child when they sustained the injury
- Your child’s overall health before and after the accident
- The type of injuries your child sustained
- The duration of your child’s recovery period
- The medical treatments your child received
- Whether your child sustained permanent impairments, disability, scarring, and/or disfigurement
- Your child’s prognosis and whether they are expected to be able to work and earn an income
- How the injury impacts your child’s quality of life
- Whether your child is able to enjoy and continue with ordinary daily activities
- Your child’s emotional health
- The need for special care, including ongoing personal and/or nursing care
We work with you and your child’s medical providers to document the damages. Our legal team also consults with leading medical experts to document how your child’s injuries impact their future.
What Types of Damages Can My Child Recover for a Personal Injury Claim in Georgia?
- Past and future medical bills
- Diminished quality of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of income and benefits
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Impairments and disabilities
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- A decrease in earning capacity
- Rehabilitative therapy
- Personal and/or nursing care
- Loss of enjoyment of life
A child may develop a psychological condition because of an injury or accident. They may experience PTSD, anxiety, fear, and depression. The emotional toll of the accident and recovery can be significant and lost for months or years.
The court may also award punitive damages in some cases. The damages are awarded to punish the at-fault party instead of compensating the injured victim. However, the victim receives the money when punitive damages are awarded.
Georgia laws specify when punitive damages can be awarded. The jury must find that the defendant in the case acted with wantonness, willful misconduct, fraud, malice, or oppression.
Proving Liability for a Child Injury Case in Columbus, GA
Child injury claims can be based on negligence, intentional torts, strict liability, and other wrongdoing. Typically, you must prove the following legal elements (of negligence) to hold someone liable for your child’s damages:
- The party owed your child a legal duty of care;
- The party breached the duty of care they owed your child by failing to act with reasonable caution;
- The breach of duty was the proximate and direct cause of your child’s injuries; and,
- Your child sustained damages and injuries.
If someone caused your child to be injured, we can help. Call the Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm to discuss how we can help you prove the above elements to obtain compensation for your child.
Are Property Owners Responsible for a Child’s Injuries if They Are Trespassing?
Generally, property owners are not responsible for injuries a trespasser receives while on their property. However, the attractive nuisance doctrine applies in most child injury cases.
A property owner could be liable if a child is injured while trespassing if an attractive nuisance is on the property. An attractive nuisance is something that would attract a child to enter the property, such as a tire swing in a tree, a swimming pool, or a tree house.
How Long Do I Have To File a Personal Injury Lawsuit on Behalf of My Child in Georgia?
Georgia imposes a two-year statute of limitations for most personal injury cases. However, the statute of limitations is tolled (paused) when the victim is a child until the child turns 18 years old. The child has two years from their 18th birthday to file a personal injury lawsuit.
However, the type of case, the parties involved, and other factors can change the statute of limitations in a case. Therefore, parents should not assume they have plenty of time to file a personal injury lawsuit. They should seek legal advice as soon as possible after their child sustains an injury.
Waiting to file a personal injury lawsuit for your child could result in losing legal rights. It also makes proving liability for the claim more challenging if key evidence disappears over time.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Columbus Child Injury Lawyers
We understand that you and your child have been through a traumatic experience. At the Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm, our legal team can handle your child’s personal injury case so you can focus all your attention on your child’s health and emotional well-being. Contact us today at (706) 940-4030 to schedule a free case review with our Columbus child injury attorney to discuss how we can help you and your child.
Our personal injury law firm in Columbus, GA also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Columbus, GA
- Car Accident Injury Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Child Injury Lawyers in Columbus, GA
- Construction Accident Attorney in Columbus, GA
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Columbus, GA
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Columbus, GA
- Product Liability Lawyers in Columbus, GA
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys in Columbus, GA
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Uber Accident Attorney in Columbus, GA
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Columbus, GA
- Workplace Lawyer in Columbus, GA
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Columbus, GA
Local Emergency Rooms Near You
- Northside Medical Center: Emergency Room – 100 Frist Ct, Columbus, GA 31909
- Midtown Medical Center West Campus Hospital – 616 19th St, Columbus, GA 31901
- Midtown Medical Center Emergency Room – 710 Center St, Columbus, GA 31901
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Read more of our client reviews here.