Being injured in a DUI (driving under the influence) accident in Columbus, GA, can be a devastating experience. Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm provides dedicated legal representation for victims of DUI accidents in Columbus, GA.
We have 26 years of legal experience and a proven track record of success. Our Columbus DUI accident lawyer is here to fight for your rights and fair compensation after a DUI accident in Columbus, Georgia.
How Our Columbus Car Accident Lawyer Can Help After a Crash With a Drunk Driver
If you’ve been involved in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, our team is here to support you through this challenging time.
Our Columbus car accident lawyer can help after a DUI accident in Columbus, GA, in the following ways:
- Legal Expertise: Our lawyers are experienced in bringing car accident claims under Georgia law. At Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm, our team has decades of experience. We will assess your case, develop a strategy, and file your claim to avoid procedural issues.
- Personalized Case Evaluation: We offer free initial consultations to assess the specifics of your case. Our Columbus DUI accident attorney evaluates the circumstances of your accident, discusses your rights, and explains the legal options available to you.
- Thorough Investigation: Our team conducts a meticulous investigation into the details of your accident. We gather evidence, review police reports, obtain witness statements, and examine all relevant documentation to build a strong case.
- Negotiation: Dealing with insurance companies and opposing counsel can be overwhelming. Our legal team handles all communications on your behalf. We negotiate with insurance adjusters and defense attorneys to ensure your best interests are represented.
- Litigation: If negotiations with insurance companies and opposing parties do not yield a fair settlement, we are prepared to take your case to court. We will present compelling arguments and evidence at trial in order to obtain a favorable outcome.
- Compassionate Support: Beyond legal representation, we provide compassionate support to our clients. We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll an accident can take. We handle all aspects of your case and keep you informed throughout the process, allowing you to focus on recovery.
After an accident, it can be stressful to think about the legal complexities of bringing a personal injury claim. Our attorneys will fight for you so that you can focus on recovering.
How Common Are Drunk Driving Car Accidents in Georgia?
Unfortunately, drunk driving accidents remain a prevalent issue in Georgia. Despite strict laws and public awareness campaigns, many individuals continue to drive under the influence. Doing so endangers themselves and others on the road. In 2021, the most recent year in which Georgia has provided data, nearly 1800 individuals died in alcohol-impaired driving fatalities.
What Compensation Is Available to Victims of Drunk Driving Car Accidents in Columbus?
Victims of DUI accidents in Columbus are entitled to seek two primary kinds of damages: economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages compensate for tangible, measurable harms. Typically, economic damages include medical expenses for the injury and property damage arising from the accident. They can also include lost wages and a loss of earning capacity due to the injury.
Non-economic damages compensate for intangible harms that are harder to measure. These often include pain and suffering damages, which compensate for the physical pain and emotional distress an accident has caused. Anxiety, depression, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) from the accident can be claimed as non-economic damages. One can also claim non-economic damages for loss of enjoyment of life and loss of consortium.
Our skilled Columbus car accident lawyers will factor in all applicable damages, maximizing your claim for compensation.
What Is Drunk Driving?
Drunk driving occurs when a person operates a vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) above the legal limit. This significantly impairs their ability to drive safely and responsibly. Drunk drivers may not be able to properly see lane markings, pedestrians, and obstacles on the road. Their motor control may also be impacted.
Even if one’s BAC is below the legal limit, it is not advisable to drive. It is safest not to drive at all. One can avoid impaired driving by going out with a designated driver who remains sober or by taking a taxi or public transportation.
What Happens to My Personal Injury if the Drunk Driver Is Also Charged With a Crime?
If the drunk driver who caused your accident is charged with a crime, it can impact your personal injury case. However, regardless of criminal charges, you can seek compensation for your injuries through a civil lawsuit.
It is important to remember that the criminal case against the driver is separate from your civil lawsuit for personal injury. Even if the driver is acquitted or the charges are dropped, you can still bring a civil lawsuit. The evidence against the defendant in the criminal case may also be used in your civil case.
Who, Other Than the Drunk Driver, Can Be Liable for My Car Accident Injuries?
In some cases, parties other than the drunk driver may share liability for your injuries. For instance, a restaurant that serves alcohol to an already intoxicated person may be liable. Vehicle manufacturers may also be liable if a defect contributed to the accident. Our car accident lawyers will gather all of the facts in order to identify any responsible parties.
Schedule a Free Initial Consultation With a Car Accident Lawyer in Columbus, GA
If you’ve been injured in a DUI accident in Columbus, GA, don’t hesitate to reach out to Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm. Schedule a free consultation today by calling (706) 940-4030. Let us be your advocates in pursuing justice and fair compensation.