Car accidents can cause significant physical, emotional, and financial challenges. If you’ve been involved in a car accident in Columbus, Georgia, you may wonder if you need to hire a car accident lawyer.
Car accidents can be stressful situations. Hiring an experienced car accident lawyer can help you navigate this challenging time and get the compensation you need.
Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer?
A car accident can create significant costs for injury victims, including medical bills, repairs for property damage, and lost wages. A skilled car accident lawyer can advocate for your rights and seek compensation for economic and non-economic damages.
Seeking legal counsel after a car accident is crucial for the following reasons:
- Navigating a personal injury case: An attorney can guide you through the legal process, ensuring you are aware of your rights and options for pursuing compensation. A Columbus car accident lawyer can help you bring a personal injury claim by the appropriate deadlines for Georgia.
- Dealing with insurance companies: Insurance companies may not always have your best interests at heart. An experienced attorney can spot insurance companies’ tactics to avoid paying out. The attorney will negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf and ensure you receive fair compensation.
- Working with expert witnesses: Experienced car accident attorneys are skilled in working with expert witnesses who can testify in your case.
- Local knowledge: Choosing a lawyer familiar with the Columbus area can be advantageous. A Columbus car accident lawyer can help with understanding specific local laws and insurance regulations.
Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Distracted driving: Texting, eating, and loud music can all cause a driver to be distracted. A distracted driver is more likely to cause an accident.
- Poor visibility and road conditions: Rain, fog, and daylight can impact visibility on the road, and ice on the road can cause drivers to skid. Spills and debris from other vehicles can also cause accidents. Such weather conditions can make it difficult to drive safely, causing a car accident.
- Speeding: Drivers who drive over the speed limit compromise their ability to stop safely without hitting another car or object. Speeding is a common cause of car accidents.
- Blind spot accidents: If a car is in your blind spot, you will not be able to see it. This may cause an accident if you try to merge into that car’s lane.
It is important to drive safely, remain vigilant, and follow all traffic laws. Even if one drives safely, however, accidents can still happen. A skilled car accident lawyer can build a case to maximize your recovery in your personal injury claim.
Common Injuries from Car Accidents
Different car accidents can lead to various injuries, including:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is a neck injury that occurs when your head is suddenly jerked forward and then snapped back. It can lead to neck pain, stiffness, and headaches.
- Broken Bones: The force of a car accident can cause broken bones, such as fractures in the arms, legs, and ribs.
- Brain & Spinal Cord Injuries: Head injuries can vary from concussions to more severe traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Even a minor bump to the head can have lasting consequences.
- Back Injuries: The impact of a car crash can result in back injuries, including herniated discs, which can cause intense pain and discomfort.
- Cuts and Lacerations: Broken glass, twisted metal, and flying debris can cause cuts and lacerations, which may require medical attention.
- Internal Injuries: Damage to internal organs, such as the liver, spleen, or lungs, can occur during auto accidents and may not be immediately obvious.
- Emotional Trauma: It’s important to note that auto accidents can also lead to emotional trauma, including anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Some of these injuries may not be immediately detectable. It is important to see a doctor as soon as possible after a car accident. Doing so can help to identify and understand any latent injuries so they are not left out of your claim.
How Much Is My Car Accident Settlement Worth?
You can obtain economic damages for the tangible costs, such as medical bills, property damage, and lost wages. Economic damages are easy to evaluate because they directly compensate plaintiffs for measurable expenses. Plaintiffs can also obtain non-economic damages for intangible losses, such as pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment. These damages are more challenging to evaluate because of the difficulties of assigning dollar values to social and emotional losses.
The value of a car accident case depends upon several factors, including:
- The severity of the injury
- The duration of the recovery period
- Costs of treatment
- Loss of wages or earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of daily activities and impact on relationships
There may be additional factors involved in your case. You should consult a car accident lawyer to understand what factors apply in your case.
Should I Hire a Lawyer for a Car Crash That Wasn’t My Fault?
Georgia follows a modified comparative fault law, which means that a judge will compare the contributions of the various parties to the accident. If a plaintiff is partially at fault, that plaintiff can still recover damages. However, a plaintiff who is not primarily to blame can have their recovery reduced by their portion of fault. That means that it is very worthwhile to get a lawyer.
A car accident lawyer will fight for you and maximize the compensation that you can recover. Your lawyer will handle the legal aspects of your personal injury claim so that you can focus on recovering. A car accident attorney will gather evidence, investigate liability, and be a knowledgeable advocate in your case.
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
Car accident lawyers are often paid on a contingency fee basis. That means that you do not owe the lawyer any fees upfront. Lawyers are paid a percentage of your recovery, so they are motivated to maximize your recovery. Contingency fees make it accessible for people to bring personal injury claims to be compensated for their injuries.
Schedule Your Free Consultation With Our Columbus Car Accident Lawyers
When involved in a car accident in Columbus, GA, you need an experienced lawyer on your side. Mark Casto Personal Injury Law Firm has decades of experience and has recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients. We can help you pursue justice and obtain compensation for your injuries. Please do not hesitate to reach out to our law office at (706) 940-4030 for a free consultation with our Columbus personal injury attorney.