Columbus Nursing Home Negligence Lawyer
Supporting You Through the Unimaginable
When your elderly loved ones need more comprehensive care than you can provide, you might choose to move them to a nursing home. Staff at these institutions promise to care for your family members as if they were their own, which is why it’s so devastating when this expectation is not upheld. The harm and injury our older loved ones suffer at the hands of these trusted institutions are truly incomprehensible.
Of all the personal injury cases we handle, our Columbus personal injury attorney understands that negligence in nursing homes can be some of the most physically, emotionally, and financially taxing for both the victims and their families.
Not only are older adults more sensitive to many harms, but they are also unable to stand up for themselves in many situations. We take pride in being the voice for the voiceless.
Nursing Home Cases We Handle
If an elderly person is physically abused or neglected in a nursing home, their risk of passing away increases by as much as 300%. Additionally, older adults are more likely to fall or acquire bedsores in a nursing home environment.
We can investigate and address all claims of nursing home neglect and abuse.
In the past, we have handled cases of:
- Physical neglect – When patients do not receive adequate assistance with their hygiene, they can develop serious illnesses. Staff should help with activities like bathing, changing clothes, and brushing teeth and should keep residents’ rooms clean by providing clean bedding and other accommodations.
- Basic needs neglect – Patients often depend on nursing homes to keep them fed, hydrated, and clothed. They also rely on these institutions for adequate shelter and safety. Failure on behalf of the nursing home can lead to malnutrition, starvation, catastrophic injuries, and even death.
- Medical neglect – When patients are not given proper medication and preventative care, they can develop infections, bedsores, cuts, and other illnesses or diseases. Some residents are even given the wrong medications, which can cause various complications.
- Emotional or social neglect- Patients can suffer serious psychological harm when they are ignored, yelled at, or spoken to in a degrading manner by nursing home staff. Sometimes, they are even isolated from other residents and develop severe depression.
When younger people get into accidents, they often have plenty of time and strength to recover from their injuries and losses. With the help of our firm, they can also acquire the resources they need to do so. Older adults, however, do not have this luxury. That’s why it’s important to us to make the time they have left as comfortable as possible – and to secure the legacy they leave behind.
No one should have to suffer the indignities of nursing home neglect. If you or a loved one needs our help, we are sorry for what happened to you and want nothing more than to help you move forward and achieve justice.
Signs of Nursing Home Negligence or Abuse
Every day, many cases of nursing home neglect or abuse occur. Sadly, the majority of these cases go unreported. The best way to prevent nursing home misconduct is to visit your loved one as much as possible and call an attorney if anything seems off.
When you visit, keep an eye out for obvious and more subtle signs of nursing home neglect.
Some of these warning signs include:
- Physical injuries such as bumps, bruises or cuts
- Sudden weight loss or malnutrition
- Sudden withdrawal from social interaction
- Increased anxieties or fears
- Sedated behavior
- Any action or physical appearance that seems out of character
You should also be wary of any nursing home or staff member who refuses to leave your elderly or disabled loved one alone with you. Make sure that you have quality time to talk with your loved one and allow them an opportunity to express concerns about their care without fear.
If you hear a complaint or notice that something isn’t right, do not hesitate to call our attorney. When you do, our firm will conduct a formal investigation and bring any violations to light.
Contact Us for a Free, No-Obligation Consultation
At The Mark Casto Law Firm, PC, we are committed to standing up for the injured, especially when they cannot fight back against injustice for themselves. Allow our firm to be your loved one’s strong advocate during their time of need.
We will take the time to get to know you, your elderly or disabled loved one, and your family members – and you can tell us exactly what your goals are throughout your case. Maybe you just want to relocate your loved one and help them recover from their injuries and live a full life. Maybe you want to pursue punitive damages and punish the individuals and institutions that wronged you. Whatever you need, we are your firm.
Our legal advocates are ready to work zealously on your behalf, support you during this difficult time, and pursue maximum compensation.
In instances where the negligent or reckless act of another person has caused the death of your loved one, our personal injury attorney may pursue compensation for the loss of companionship or consortium as well. While we know that no amount of money can possibly compensate the passing of your loved ones, we want to make sure that you and the rest of your family are given justice and closure.