Here at The Casto Law Firm family is our number one priority. That is why we do not take lightly to any nursing home neglect. Nursing home neglect is considered to be a Breach of Duty or form of mediocre care that results in harm to the patient. In the unfortunate incident that you feel your loved one has been neglected or mistreated by a nursing home and you don't know who can help, Casto Can!
There are different types of nursing home neglect that vary among each case. These cases may involve one or multiple of the following cases:
- Medical: This occurs when the home fails to provide adequate attention, prevention, or medication for issues such as bed sores, infections, cuts, diabetes, cognitive diseases, and mobility concerns (like transporting from room to room or out of the patients bed, etc.).
- Emotional or Social: This occurs when the patient is left alone, ignored or accidentally the target of an overstressed staff member.
- Personal Hygiene: This occurs with the patient does not receive help with laundry, cleaning, bathing, brushing their teeth or performing other forms of hygienic practices.
- The Bare Necessities: This occurs when the patients is not receiving reasonable food, water and a safe environment.
Due to the many different types of neglect, it may be difficult to point out neglect as some don't present physical signs. Here are some “red flags” to look for while visiting your loved one:
- Sudden weight loss
- Bed sores, bruises or ulcers
- Fall injuries
- Dehydration and Malnutrition
- Unusual changes in behavior
- Growing unfriendly to staff, other patients, or even family members
When selecting a nursing home for your loved one, be sure to do your research and check reviews. While visiting the home make sure the home is adequately staffed, make sure the patients look and act happy, and last but not least, make sure your loved one feels comfortable with this decision.
If you see any of the above warnings in your loved one or have record of neglect, contact us immediately. Who can fight this battle for you? Casto Can!!